Thursday, January 17, 2013

Touchdown

My interest in South Sudan developed after I found myself representing many refugees and migrants from the Sudan through my employment as a Solicitor with Legal Aid. A colleague and friend from South Sudan linked me with a grassroots not for proft community development organisation in Western Bahr El Gahzal state in South Sudan and so I have now put my money where my mouth is and the journey begins.
 
I will spend the next two and a half months in South Sudan, helping the organisation - Hope Agency for Relief and Development "HARD" to assess the needs of street children in Wau city and develop a plan of action.
 
My first thoughts when flying into South Sudan were that the landscape and isolation is similar to that of Cape York, Australia in the dry season - dusty and red with rivers snaking through the country side, however as we flew lower I could see paths linking huts together and women walking between them in traditional dress.
 
The first round of culture shock hit me when I walked into the airport - one very small, hot and sweat infused room that combines immigration, customs, baggage collection and arrivals. There was a shove of people trying to get a visa and luckily I had John, a local from the organisation to help me. I was told I could only get a visa for one month and then write to the government for an extension.
 
Of course it was my luck that after 30 hours of travel my bag did not arrive. I was told by the baggage handler to come back when the next flight arrives. I asked John if the airline would arrange for the bag to be delivered to my hotel - he looked at me and then let out the biggest laugh as though I had told him the funniest joke. After the second treck to the airport my bag did arrive on the next flight and I managed to stay my first two nights in South Sudan in comfort.
 
Thankfully I brought US Dollars with me to change into South Sudanese pounds as no where accepts credit cards and you can't withdraw money from the bank unless you have a local account!

No comments:

Post a Comment