Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Final Chapter

As I packed my bags another storm blew over Acumcum. I was sad to be leaving without experiencing the wet season. Small patches of green grass had started to grow and the pigs had returned to the compound pigsty with 10 little ones in tow. I was told it is a sign that the rains are on the way! I am sure South Sudan is a completely different place to experience in the wet. Driving through Acumcum village and Wau town for the last time was surreal. When I first arrived I found the place harsh and difficult to adjust to, but after three months I had slowly gotten used to daily life and started to build some good relationships with colleagues and other international workers. I suppose that is life in general - people and experiences coming in and out.
 
I spent one night in Juba and was surprised to find the place more multicultural than when I first arrived, with many faces from Ethiopia and Eritrea and expats driving around in UN vehicles. There was a large amount of fresh fruit and vegetables for sale at the markets and being closer to Uganda allows for a variety of goods to be imported. I relaxed at a hotel on the river Nile and enjoyed a cold smirnoff while watching the boats pass by.
 
Arriving at my five star hotel in Addis Ababa I was gobsmacked. I had not had running water, electricity or a variety of food for three months. To sleep in a king sized bed and have a hot shower was amazing! Addis is an interesting city. I went on a private city tour and experienced the big marke, traditional dinner and dancing. My guide was lovely and helped me run around town to find an ATM that was working!
 
I have spent the last three days in the ancient town of Lalibela. It is famous for its underground rock churches. The Ethiopian Orthodox religion is very much part of daily life and it was fascinating to visit the churches and witness locals coming to pray and fast. I met some lovely girls from the UK who are working in Africa so spent a couple of days touring with them. On my last day in Lalibela I decided to make the trek to a monestary in the mountains. I took a mule but the mountain was so steep and rocky at times that I fell off the mule and fell over twice. It was a scary experience but the view from the top was incredible. Ethiopia is an unusual place, very unique to the rest of Africa. It is rich in culture, religion and culinary experiences. It is safe and a place that I would recommend to travel. 
 
Getting ready to fly out I have mixed feelings. I am looking forward to arriving home to my family, friends, wonderful food, ease of life and comfort, but I am also feeling sad to be leaving the adventure and isolation that is Wau, South Sudan. Despite the  heat, challenges and frustrations I think that the country, people and culture of South Sudan has gotten under my skin and I will be back one day.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Rowena,

    Great information in your recent posts. I am planning to travel to Wau in September. Will I be impacted by the rainy season?

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Craig,
      I hope you have a great time in Wau. It is such a unique place and has left an impression on me. I haven't experienced Wau in September but I understand that it is the end of the wet season so it will start drying up but may rain from time to time. Make sure you take insect repellent for the mosquitoes!

      All the best.

      Delete