Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Weekend in Wau

As my last days in South Sudan have crept up on me I decided to spend the weekend in Wau. A number of colleagues had training in Wau so were also staying at a hotel. I spent a lazy Saturday by the pool at the Wau River Lodge and had the best meal I have had since being in South Sudan  for dinner - roasted lamb and chips! Although there are sheep around, it is not common to find it on the menu.
 
On Sunday morning I was meant to be taken on a tour of the largest Catholic Cathedral in Wau but the Father's motorcycle broke down! It was a hot and windy day and in the afternoon a dust storm followed by rain storm hit Wau. It was incredible to watch the red dust being blown everywhere, followed by torrential down pour. As I have not seen any rain since I arrived it was surreal to walk out on the streets and there be puddles of water. I can imagine how difficult and unpleasant it is in town in the wet season as there are no drainage, sewage or sewerage systems in place.
 
I had organised to visit my friend's mum for dinner that day and had to take a ruksha (tuk tuk) through the massive mud puddles to get to her house on the other side of town. I was paranoid that the tiny little vehicle would not make it, or worse, tip over sideways in the water. I was told that I should take some friends or colleagues with me for dinner and within the South Sudanese culture a guest is always supposed to eat first. It felt unusual to me that I was in the house with my friends eating and drinking, while my host was outside preparing the meal. Only after we finished eating did she come and sit with us.
 
The rain brought a cooler change to the temperature so the last two days have been pleasant and sleeping has not been a problem. I am sure that in a few weeks and with some more rain the landscape here will look very different to the way it is now. I would like to experience South Sudan in the wet season, only minus the mosquitoes.

This experience over the last few months has reminded me that people are adaptable and strong, no matter where they live in the world and what cards they have been dealt in life. I am looking forward to heading back to my life in Australia but I will think fondly on my times and experiences in Acumcum, Wau and South Sudan.

No comments:

Post a Comment