Thursday, February 7, 2013

Bodies and Bathing

It should be noted that basic sanitation in South Sudan is very poor and people do not have toilets or running water inside their house or tuktul. If one is industrious or a little more well off, there may be a latrine pit outside, protected by bricks, grass or bamboo sheeting. Looking around the expanse of tukuls throughout the suburbs of Wau I often wonder how people find the place or privacy to relieve themselves or bathe.
 
Having spent a few weeks in South Sudan I am able answer this question based on my own observations. It is a common sight while driving along the main road into Wau, or even in the town intself, to see a man standing on the side of the road urinating without a care in the world. Although not as common, I have seen many women just squat where they are, lift up their skirt and do what they need to do.
 
The other day as I was going for a walk in the village I went past the water pump. There were some children collecting water, some animals having a drink and an older teenage boy washing his clothes and having a wash with nothing on. I think I was more embarassed than him.
 
Another day we were driving to an outer suburb of Wau. There was a small body of water by the side of the road and I saw that people were washing trucks in it. I thought to myself 'that's interesting, I will need to get a photo of that next time I come past.' As we drove back the driver slowed down so I could get a photo. As I put my camera out the window the trucks had gone but there were about six men stark naked having a wash!
 
Yesterday while waiting at our office in Wau I thought I would be adventurous and go for a walk to the corner shop to get a bottle of water on my own. It is not that I feel unsafe but I am usually with a colleague. It is also an unusual sight to see a white person walking around Wau so I do get many stares, handshakes and children yelling out 'kawaja' meaning white person.
 
An older lady stopped me in the street and we did the usual greeting in Arabic and managed to exchange names. She continued to talk to me in Arabic, saying the same thing over and over. I repeated 'No Arabic' and shrugged my shoulders. She then leant towards me and firmly touched both of my breasts. I have no idea what she was trying to say but I managed to get my bottle of water and get safely back to the office.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha! Squeezed your breasts? Maybe she was eyeing you up as a potential wet nurse?! I love it!

    Glad to hear your adventure is continuing Rowrow. can't wait to hear more about the projects and proposals you have developed.

    xx Mandy

    ReplyDelete