Saturday, February 2, 2013

Lessons on Health & Safety

South Sudan is a developing country and therefore it makes sense that matters such as occupational health and safety, or actually any form of health and safety, may not be up to the standards that one expects to see in the West. I learnt this lesson over the space of a few days this week and made myself a reminder list of things to be aware of while in South Sudan.
 
1. Never operate the generator
While having dinner at the compound one night we were discussing the generator and its current mechanical problems. I heard the words "Deng, four teeth, Manut, eye, hospital." After asking more questions I discovered that in the space of one month, Deng and Manut (compound workers) sustained serious injuries while starting the generator; Deng losing four teeth and Manut seriously damaging one eye and vision. They are both back on the job with no complaints but I will stay well away from the generator.
 
2. Wear shoes in the latrine 
The compound has two pit latrines and on average there may be 10 people in the compound at any given time. For hygiene purposes it is a given that I would not go to the latrine without shoes on, but the other night this was highlighted to me even more. As I stepped into the latrine I felt something squish under my shoe. As I moved my torch over my foot to see what I had stepped on, there was a semi-squashed scorpion on the ground thrusting its tail towards me.
 
3. Carry a spare tyre - preferably one that is not threadbare
Driving along the bumpy dirt road to Wau, the vehicle suddenly swerved off the road. As we got out to see what had happened the rear tyre was completely flat. Not only was it completely flat, but it was completely bald and threadbare. As the driver opened the back door of the troopy he yelled out "No tyre." Realising that we had no spare we had to wait on the deserted road for help. Some local boys on a motorbike stopped and said that they would get a message to someone in the village. Thankfully a colleague came to the rescue soon after.
 
4. Caution should be taken when handling feral animals
While driving through Wau Town and looking at the donkeys pulling carts of water, I thought to myself "I could get a pet donkey for the compound. Not only could he help fetch water from the bore but I could have something to do on the weekend - go for walks, wash my donkey, find grass for him." While still contemplating the idea of a pet donkey, a colleague and I went for a drink at a bar on Friday afternoon. There was a stray cat and kittens wandering around the bar and the Manager of the bar was more than happy to offer me a kitten. I thought to myself 'This is a much better idea than a donkey!' When he bent down to pick up the kitten, it went completely feral, scratching and biting him to the extent that he had to release it and nurse his wounds. Perhaps when I next go to the bar to get my new pet, some gloves, food and a cardboard box are a requirement!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment